Sunday, July 1, 2007

Gift

Mom and I were on our way to #1 Chinese grocery store on Saturday when her 1989 wagon stalled on I-95. It was scary at first to be stranded on the side of a major interstate highway. I quickly called AAA to request a tow truck. In God's providence, we pulled over to the side underneath a ramp to be able to wait in the shade, even though it wasn't really hot. The tow truck finally came after a good 45-minute wait. But the best part of this story was really the story of the truck driver he shared when he towed the car and us home. He had a friend who won a medical law suit for 14 million dollars. Out of the blue, this friend decided to use the money, pay off his house, and sell it to this tow truck driver friend for $1. What a nice friend! We could all use a little break every now and then. But it seems like our tow truck driver was desparate for one and seemed to deserve it more than anyone.

As for the wagon, Mom is finally letting it go. We'll probably donate it. It was having the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Mechanics thought they had fixed it. Apparently not...

4 comments:

MW (My Wish) said...

What an adventure! I am just glad that both you and mom were taken back safely. Two weeks ago I had this freak-out on the hwy too..my car was overheating and just as I was lucky enough to exit a ramp, it stopped. Then it started a warning signal which was so scary to hear at night. It was almost midnight. I called the tow truck service and the guy found that my water tank was empty. We filled the tank and I risked driving it back to town only to find out the next day that the tank was leaking.

I remember your mom's wagon. The Volvo wagon? I bet it is sad to say goodbye to it. I am sad too because I feel like I knew it as a friend.

So long, nice wagon. You have been good to the family. Good bye wagon.

MW (My Wish) said...

And the story of the driver amazes me. I am touched by such loving friendship.

MadeInTaiwan said...

It was quite a scare even in the day time. And yours, MW, was in the middle of the night!!! Were you by yourself, too?

Yes, it is good bye to the Silver wagon. It will be sad to let it go, but it's got a mystery illness that no one can find to cure.

MW (My Wish) said...

MIT, I was with my sister Carol. Lucky me that I had her with me late at night. She doesn't usually ride back with me.

What have you been doing for your summer? Tell me.