Friday, May 25, 2007

Chestnuts




This is our chestnut tree in the back yard (left). These are pictures from last year. Soon, we will see these funny pipe-cleaner-looking blossoms that smell horrible (middle). But, after that, little pods of chestnut fruits will begin to develop (right). Around late September-early October, these pods will have gotten to be about the size of a tennis ball. Inside each of them contains 2-3 big fat chestnuts. When the nuts fully ripen, the pods will crack and fall to the ground. If we beat the squirrels to them, it's delicious chestnut and chicken for dinner! Doggie's hair has detered the stupid squirrels from coming near the bottom of the tree. But, these pesty rodents are smart enough to jump from other trees nearby. If I had my wish, I'd wish for squirrels who are afraid of heights and who hate chestnuts! Can you tell that squirrels and I are not on friendly terms?

2 comments:

MW (My Wish) said...

Ha ha, I wish you get your wish..Chestnut and chicken-in broth or baked? Hey the Tsong Tsu fest is coming up and I like those rice dumplings with chesnuts and pork inside. Does it ring a bell to you? Yummy chestnuts? Lucky you to have fresh ones to pick up. Here we have to get those dried ones that need to be soaked for hours before cooking them. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a better way to collect those nuts? Can you train Doggie to climb up the tree? Just a thought.

MadeInTaiwan said...

Doggie would love to climb up a tree. She and those stinky squirrels would love to declare war! Yummy fresh chestnuts will have to frozen down from the previous fall. I think we ate all we harvested from last year! Mmmm... tsong tsu!!!