Friday, June 22, 2012

Thankfulness Friday - Forced Rest

I believe that God forces us to take a break.  Sometimes, He allows us to get sick, so we'd have no choice but to rest.  Other times, He does so by other means so we'd have to stop and refocus.

These past couple of months has been crazy busy for me.  It's been hard to take time off with the manuscript that needs to be submitted weeks ago and the tenure application looming over my head.  This week has been miserable with a sinus infection.  I pushed ahead anyway thinking that it really isn't that bad. 

There's always two more experiments in the lab.  Two more experiments for the manuscript to be completed.  Two more replicates to make an experimental result significant.  That's what May and June have been like.  I had planned a big experiment today and had planned to stay late, well into the night, to finish everything.  Then, next week, I can focus on finishing all the writing.  As it turns out, my reagent did not arrive; it won't arrive until Monday.  My big experiment will have to wait.  Will I make it?  I have no idea.  Do I have a choice?  No, I do not.  Am I thankful?  Yes, in a weird way.  I can go home earlier today and make Bun Bun giggle.  Is that better than a completed manuscript or tenure?  I know so.

No comments: